Thursday, February 01, 2007

Walter Leonard Nixon

On this day, 1st February, in the year 1893, my grandfather, Walter Leonard Nixon was born. In many respects he kindled my interest in the First World War. A gunner with the Royal Garrison Artillery, wounded and gassed for his King and country, my memories of him are of an old man, huddling by the fire to keep warm; rolling his cigarettes. I never spoke to him about his Great War experiences but his death in 1980, and my regret at not having not got to know him better than I should have done, triggered in me a desire to learn more. And so today, 27 years later, and with many years of First World War research and knowledge under my belt, I pay tribute to Walter Leonard Nixon, one of five serving Nixon brothers, but above all, my grandfather.

No comments: