Monday, December 31, 2007

Chailey 1914-1918 - two years old

This time two years ago, with the first fireworks bursting outside my flat in India, I was struggling to publish my Chailey 1914-1918 commemoration site. I'd set myself the goal to get it published in 2005 and I made it with a few hours to spare. Publishing my research on-line was the best thing I ever did. Although I had a lot of information, there were - and still are - huge gaps which I hoped that visitors to my site would help fill. They have and they continue to do so.

So again, thank you to everybody who has helped me over the past 24 months. Just today, as a result of information receive from a distant relative, I have been able to update the page for Frederick Sweetman, a Wivelsfield man who joined the Royal Sussex Regiment Special Reserve in September 1914, served overseas twice and was then discharged on a pension of ten shillings a week in 1916. Frederick was a widower when war was declared yet, with two young daughters to support, that didn't stop him from volunteering to serve his King and Country.

Tonight I shall raise a glass to the men and women of Chailey and indeed to all our country's servicemen and women (past and present) whose sacrifices allow us to enjoy the freedoms we so happily take for granted.

Happy New Year to you all.

No comments: